Sunday, August 12, 2012

Farmer's Breakfast

I am a cheater. Done. Said. It's all out there now. Sunday is a particularly good day for me to cheat. I like to keep one day of the weekend without firm plans. I can get up when I want to, do what I feel like. I often feel like having an early cup of coffee in bed and a big, old-fashioned breakfast later on which offers a fine opportunity for cheating. On my "diet" that is. There I finally said it! You can't "cheat" on a meal plan but you sure can "cheat" on a diet. But I am also a liar because it's not really cheating. This luscious version of the classic diner bacon-egg-n-hash brown breakfast is less than 400 calories, relatively low in saturated fat and cholesterol AND has lots of veggies packed in it as well! So if you're going to cheat - please - let it be as harmless as this: Add 2 tsp of Olive Oil to to a hot, non-stick fry pan. Add 2 frozen Dr. Praegar's Broccoli Pancakes. Cook, untouched until crispy and brown - about 2 minutes. While the pancakes are cooking separate and place 3 Egg Whites in a small bowl with a little cayenne pepper or whatever seasoning you prefer (crushed red pepper flakes, sriracha sauce, salt and black pepper, fresh herbs are other good choices). Thinly slice about 1/4 cup of your favorite vegetables - this morning I used some Heirloom Patio Tomatoes and Red Onion. When crisped on one side flip the pancakes. Add the veggies and 2 slices of Applegate Farms Sunday Bacon to the pan. Once the bacon is done and the pancakes crisped on the 2nd side remove to a paper towel, transfer to a serving plate and keep warm. Spread the vegetables out in the pan and continue to cook until tender. Give the egg whites a good whisking and quickly dump into the pan with the veggies, cover and cook over low heat until set. Fold the omelet in half and transfer to the serving plate. Chow down!

No comments:

Post a Comment