Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cranberry Chocolate Chip Scones

Aren't these lovely? Oh my they look good. And I LOVE scones. All buttery and subtle and melt-in-your-mouthy! They are sly little devils too because they seem a bit dry and crumbly when you take your first bite. Then the magic happens as the butter warms and kicks off a little party in your mouth. Oh yeah! Unfortunately these scones are not like those scones. These scones are healthy, whole grain scones. Bleck. I have tried making these 3 times now and I guess I am ready to finally call them a lost cause. I think it's because - like shortbread or croissants - without the butter there is no such thing as a tasty scone. The original recipe called for a bit of canola oil, whole wheat pastry flour, pecans and cranberries. I thought they were okay so I tried making them with a bit more oil the next time. It didn't improve them much. This time I thought if I swapped the pecans for chocolate chips it might make them more moist. It did improve the flavor but the texture remained coarse and overall a bit sour. So I guess scones will remain one of those special treats for a special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment