Sunday, September 16, 2012

Crafty Me: Decor

First off - let me apologize for these pictures - it is so dang hard to get any kind of quality light in this room! I didn't get a handle on my photography this week but I did have time for 2 of my favorite things: a craft project and some new decor. When I moved into my condo 5 years ago I pretty quickly decided that I wanted a calming, serene, relatively dark monochromatic color scheme in the master bedroom. I painted all the walls a rich and neutral tan (Martha Stewart's Skylark), laid a very deep-tone, high-sheen mahogany floor and chose shades of dark cherry for all the furniture. I installed beautiful Dupioni silk floor length drapes (Pottery Barn's Clay) and bought a chocolate velvet tufted headboard (Ballard Designs' Squire) along with 2 different ensembles and about half a bajillion pillows for the bed. The only part of the decor that left me a bit stumped was the wall art. The ceiling slopes from the window wall at 8 feet to about 12 feet on the opposite side. The headboard is rather high but there is still enough space above to feel like it needed something. The most dire need was the wall over the vanity table which felt very empty. In the end I opted to fill the space with non-traditional decor. I found an elegant wall decal ("Everyday holds the possibility of a Miracle!") that perfectly fit the space over the headboard, preventing it from feeling either cramped or forgotten. Later, another installation - a flock of butterflies fluttering across the wall over the vanity and behind two embossed plaques - was inspired by a lovely stained glass piece I received as a gift {bottom, left}. Now, the last spot - on the 12-foot high wall - has finally been filled with a selection of fun chipboard signs I found at the craft shop. I bought a fleur-de-lis, the words "live", "laugh" and "love" plus a crown to top it all off {bottom, right} and painted them with the leftover wall paint for a subtle, relief look. I hit them with a soft spray of gold glitter paint so they catch a little light every now and then. I am really happy with how these turned out. They are just what I wanted: something that would be a little different, a little creative and thoughtful, but unexpected as well. Where do you look for inspiration when an odd space or a tight budget way-lays your grand decorating plans?

No comments:

Post a Comment